Significance of Mitosis & Meiosis | Class 11 Notes, MCQs
![]() |
| Comparison of Mitosis and Meiosis showing stages of cell division and chromosome behavior in Class 11 Biology. |
- Dr.Sanjaykumar Pawar
🌿 Significance of Mitosis (Equational Division)
- Mitosis is a type of cell division where one cell forms two identical daughter cells.
- It is also called equational division because chromosome number remains the same.
- Mostly occurs in diploid (2n) cells.
- In some lower plants and social insects, even haploid cells can undergo mitosis.
📌 Main Importance of Mitosis
- Mitosis produces genetically identical daughter cells (same DNA as parent cell).
- It is responsible for growth of multicellular organisms.
- As cells grow, the nucleus-cytoplasm ratio gets disturbed.
- So, mitosis helps to restore proper nucleus–cytoplasm balance.
🌱 Role in Growth and Repair
- Mitosis helps in increase in number of cells → growth of body.
- It is essential for repair and replacement of worn-out cells.
- Examples:
- Cells of skin (epidermis) are continuously replaced.
- Cells lining the gut (intestine) are regularly renewed.
- Blood cells are continuously produced in bone marrow.
🌳 Mitosis in Plants
- In plants, mitosis occurs in meristematic tissues.
- Two main meristems:
- Apical meristem → increases length (primary growth)
- Lateral cambium → increases thickness (secondary growth)
- This leads to continuous growth throughout plant life.
🧬 Introduction to Meiosis
- Meiosis is a special type of cell division.
- It produces gametes (sex cells) like sperm and egg.
- It reduces chromosome number from diploid (2n) → haploid (n).
📌 Importance of Meiosis
- It is essential for sexual reproduction.
- It ensures formation of haploid gametes.
- After fertilization, diploid number is restored.
- Maintains constant chromosome number across generations.
🔑 Key Features of Meiosis
- Two divisions occur:
- Meiosis I
- Meiosis II
- Only one DNA replication occurs before division.
- Homologous chromosomes pair up (synapsis).
- Crossing over (recombination) occurs between non-sister chromatids.
- Results in formation of 4 haploid daughter cells.
🔄 Stages of Meiosis
Meiosis I
- Prophase I
- Metaphase I
- Anaphase I
- Telophase I
Meiosis II
- Prophase II
- Metaphase II
- Anaphase II
- Telophase II
Below is a complete CBSE Class 11 NEET/Board exam practice set based on Mitosis & Meiosis covering all question types.
🧬 1. Very Short Answer Questions (1 Mark)
Q1. What is mitosis?
Ans: Mitosis is equational cell division producing two identical daughter cells.
Q2. What is meiosis?
Ans: Meiosis is reductional division forming four haploid cells from one diploid cell.
Q3. Where does mitosis occur in plants?
Ans: In meristematic tissues (apical and lateral cambium).
Q4. How many daughter cells are formed in meiosis?
Ans: Four haploid daughter cells.
Q5. What is crossing over?
Ans: Exchange of genetic material between non-sister chromatids during prophase I of meiosis.
✍️ 2. Short Answer Questions (2–3 Marks)
Q1. Write two differences between mitosis and meiosis.
Ans:
- Mitosis: one division; Meiosis: two divisions
- Mitosis: produces 2 diploid cells; Meiosis: produces 4 haploid cells
Q2. Why is mitosis important for multicellular organisms?
Ans:
- Helps in growth of body
- Repairs damaged tissues
- Maintains nucleus-cytoplasm ratio
Q3. What is the significance of meiosis?
Ans:
- Produces haploid gametes
- Maintains chromosome number after fertilization
- Introduces genetic variation
📘 3. Long Answer Questions (5 Marks)
Q1. Explain significance of mitosis.
Ans:
- Produces genetically identical cells
- Helps in growth of multicellular organisms
- Maintains nucleus-cytoplasm ratio
- Responsible for repair and regeneration
- Continuous replacement of cells (skin, gut, blood)
- Plant growth via meristematic tissues
Q2. Describe meiosis and its stages briefly.
Ans:
- Meiosis is reduction division forming haploid cells
- Two divisions: Meiosis I and II
- Meiosis I reduces chromosome number
- Meiosis II separates chromatids
- Final result: 4 haploid cells
- Stages: Prophase, Metaphase, Anaphase, Telophase (I & II)
🎯 4. MCQs (Multiple Choice Questions)
Q1. Mitosis results in:
A) Haploid cells
B) Four cells
C) Two identical diploid cells
D) Gametes
Ans: C
Q2. Meiosis occurs in:
A) Body cells
B) Germ cells
C) Skin cells
D) Muscle cells
Ans: B
Q3. Crossing over occurs in:
A) Metaphase I
B) Prophase I
C) Anaphase II
D) Telophase I
Ans: B
Q4. Number of divisions in meiosis:
A) One
B) Two
C) Three
D) Four
Ans: B
Q5. Mitosis helps in:
A) Gamete formation
B) Growth and repair
C) Fertilization
D) Reduction division
Ans: B
⚖️ 5. Assertion and Reason
Q1.
Assertion (A): Mitosis produces identical daughter cells.
Reason (R): Genetic material is equally distributed.
Ans: Both A and R are true and R is correct explanation.
Q2.
Assertion (A): Meiosis reduces chromosome number to half.
Reason (R): It involves two nuclear divisions.
Ans: Both A and R are true but R is not correct explanation.
Q3.
Assertion (A): Mitosis occurs in gamete formation.
Reason (R): Gametes are formed by reduction division.
Ans: A is false, R is true.
🧩 6. Fill in the Blanks
-
Mitosis is also called ______ division.
Ans: equational -
Meiosis produces ______ haploid cells.
Ans: four -
Crossing over occurs in ______ I.
Ans: Prophase -
Mitosis occurs in ______ cells.
Ans: somatic -
Meiosis is important for ______ reproduction.
Ans: sexual
📊 7. Match the Columns
| Column A | Column B |
|---|---|
| Mitosis | Growth |
| Meiosis | Gamete formation |
| Crossing over | Prophase I |
| Apical meristem | Plant growth |
| Reduction division | Meiosis |
Answers:
- Mitosis → Growth
- Meiosis → Gamete formation
- Crossing over → Prophase I
- Apical meristem → Plant growth
- Reduction division → Meiosis
📚 8. Case Study Question
Case:
A student observed that skin cells are continuously replaced, but sperm cells are formed in testes through a different process that reduces chromosome number.
Questions:
Q1. Which type of division occurs in skin cells?
Ans: Mitosis
Q2. Which division forms sperm cells?
Ans: Meiosis
Q3. Why is meiosis important in sperm formation?
Ans: It reduces chromosome number to haploid state
Q4. What would happen if meiosis did not occur?
Ans: Chromosome number would double after fertilization .
🔗INTERNAL LINKS
/class11-biology-cell-cycle-and-cell-division
/mitosis-vs-meiosis-differences-chart
/neat-biology-important-mcqs-cell-division
/gametogenesis-in-plants-and-animals
/ncert-class11-biology-notes
Cell Division Mind Map (NEET)
- Cell Division
- Mitosis (Equational Division)
- Definition: One cell → Two identical daughter cells
- Occurs in:
- Diploid cells (mostly)
- Some haploid cells (lower plants, insects)
- Significance:
- Growth of organism
- Cell repair and replacement
- Maintains nucleus-cytoplasm ratio
- Examples:
- Skin epidermis cells
- Gut lining cells
- Blood cells formation
- Plant meristems (apical & lateral)
- Meiosis (Reduction Division)
- Definition: Diploid cell → Four haploid cells
- Purpose:
- Formation of gametes
- Sexual reproduction
- Maintains chromosome number across generations
- Key Features:
- Two divisions: Meiosis I & II
- One DNA replication only
- Crossing over occurs
- Produces 4 haploid cells
- Stages:
- Meiosis I:
- Prophase I
- Metaphase I
- Anaphase I
- Telophase I
- Meiosis II:
- Prophase II
- Metaphase II
- Anaphase II
- Telophase II
- Meiosis I:
- Mitosis (Equational Division)

Comments
Post a Comment