Skip to main content

Meiosis I Mind Map for NEET | Prophase I Stages Explained Simply

 Meiosis I Mind Map for NEET | Prophase I Stages Explained Simply

NEET biology mind map of Meiosis I showing Prophase I stages, metaphase I, anaphase I, telophase I, and interkinesis in a structured diagram.
Mind map of Meiosis I showing all stages of Prophase I and key events for NEET revision.
 
- Dr.Sanjaykumar Pawar 

🌿 MEIOSIS I (Reduction Division) – Easy Notes

🔬 PROPHASE I (Longest and most important stage)

👉 Most complex stage of meiosis
👉 Divided into 5 sub-stages:


1️⃣ Leptotene

  • Chromosomes start becoming visible under microscope
  • They become long, thin, and thread-like
  • Chromosomes begin condensation (coiling & thickening)

📌 Key point: “Lepto = thin threads”


2️⃣ Zygotene

  • Homologous chromosomes pair together
  • This pairing is called synapsis
  • Paired chromosomes are called bivalents
  • Synaptonemal complex forms (protein structure holding pairs together)

📌 Key point: “Zygo = pairing”


3️⃣ Pachytene

  • Chromosomes become shorter and thicker
  • Each bivalent has 4 chromatids → called tetrad
  • Crossing over occurs here
    • Exchange of genetic material between non-sister chromatids
  • Helps in genetic variation
  • Enzyme involved: recombinase

📌 Key point: “Pachy = thick, crossing over happens”


4️⃣ Diplotene

  • Synaptonemal complex dissolves
  • Homologous chromosomes start separating
  • They remain attached at chiasmata (X-shaped points)
  • Chiasmata show crossing over sites

📌 Key point: “Diplotene = separation begins but not complete”


5️⃣ Diakinesis

  • Chromosomes become fully condensed
  • Chiasmata move toward ends (terminalisation)
  • Nuclear membrane and nucleolus disappear
  • Spindle fibres form

📌 Key point: “Final preparation for metaphase I”


📊 METAPHASE I

  • Bivalents align at equator (metaphase plate)
  • Spindle fibres attach to homologous chromosomes
  • Each homolog goes to opposite poles later

📌 Key point: “Pairs line up in middle”


➗ ANAPHASE I

  • Homologous chromosomes separate
  • They move to opposite poles
  • BUT sister chromatids stay together

📌 Key point: “Separation of homologous chromosomes only”


🧫 TELOPHASE I

  • Chromosomes reach poles
  • Nuclear membrane re-forms
  • Nucleolus reappears
  • Cytokinesis occurs
    👉 Forms two haploid cells (dyads)

📌 Key point: “One diploid cell → two haploid cells”


⏳ INTERKINESIS

  • Short resting stage between Meiosis I and II
  • No DNA replication occurs
  • Prepares for Meiosis II

📌 Key point: “No duplication, just gap phase”


⚡ QUICK REVISION TABLE

Stage Main Event
Leptotene Chromosomes visible
Zygotene Synapsis (pairing)
Pachytene Crossing over
Diplotene Chiasmata visible
Diakinesis Spindle formation
Metaphase I Alignment at equator
Anaphase I Homologous separation
Telophase I Two haploid cells formed


🌿 MEIOSIS I – QUESTION BANK (Class 11 CBSE)


✅ 1. VERY SHORT ANSWER QUESTIONS (1 mark)

Q1. What is synapsis?

Ans: Pairing of homologous chromosomes during zygotene.


Q2. What is bivalent?

Ans: A pair of homologous chromosomes.


Q3. What is tetrad?

Ans: A structure with four chromatids formed during pachytene.


Q4. What is crossing over?

Ans: Exchange of genetic material between non-sister chromatids.


Q5. Name the stage where homologous chromosomes separate.

Ans: Anaphase I


Q6. What is interkinesis?

Ans: Resting stage between Meiosis I and Meiosis II.


✏️ 2. SHORT ANSWER QUESTIONS (2–3 marks)

Q1. Write two differences between mitosis and meiosis I.

Ans:

  • Mitosis → no pairing; Meiosis I → synapsis occurs
  • Mitosis → no reduction; Meiosis I → reduction division

Q2. What happens during pachytene?

Ans:

  • Crossing over occurs
  • Genetic recombination happens
  • Tetrad formation is visible

Q3. What is the importance of crossing over?

Ans:

  • Produces genetic variation
  • Helps evolution
  • Ensures diversity in offspring

Q4. What happens in diakinesis?

Ans:

  • Chromosomes fully condense
  • Nuclear membrane disappears
  • Spindle formation starts
  • Chiasmata terminalisation occurs

📘 3. LONG ANSWER QUESTIONS (5 marks)

Q1. Explain Prophase I of meiosis I in detail.

Ans: Prophase I is longest stage and has 5 sub-stages:

  • Leptotene: chromosomes condense and become visible
  • Zygotene: synapsis of homologous chromosomes occurs
  • Pachytene: crossing over occurs between non-sister chromatids
  • Diplotene: chiasmata become visible, chromosomes start separating
  • Diakinesis: chromosomes fully condense, nuclear membrane breaks, spindle forms

👉 Prophase I is important for genetic variation.


Q2. Describe Meiosis I stages.

Ans:

  • Prophase I: pairing and crossing over
  • Metaphase I: bivalents align at equator
  • Anaphase I: homologous chromosomes separate
  • Telophase I: two haploid cells formed
  • Followed by interkinesis

👉 Results in reduction of chromosome number.


❓ 4. ASSERTION–REASON QUESTIONS

Q1.

Assertion (A): Crossing over occurs in pachytene stage.
Reason (R): It leads to genetic variation.

✔ Answer: Both A and R are true, and R is correct explanation of A


Q2.

A: Homologous chromosomes separate in meiosis I.
R: Sister chromatids separate in anaphase I.

✔ Answer: A is true, R is false


Q3.

A: Interkinesis involves DNA replication.
R: It occurs between meiosis I and II.

✔ Answer: A is false, R is true


🔲 5. FILL IN THE BLANKS

Q1. Synapsis occurs during ________ stage.

Ans: Zygotene


Q2. Crossing over occurs in ________ stage.

Ans: Pachytene


Q3. X-shaped structures are called ________.

Ans: Chiasmata


Q4. Meiosis I is called ________ division.

Ans: Reduction


Q5. No DNA replication occurs in ________.

Ans: Interkinesis


🔗 6. MATCH THE FOLLOWING

Column A Column B
Leptotene Chromosomes visible
Zygotene Synapsis
Pachytene Crossing over
Diplotene Chiasmata formation
Diakinesis Spindle formation

✔ Answers: 1–Chromosomes visible, 2–Synapsis, 3–Crossing over, 4–Chiasmata, 5–Spindle


📊 7. STATEMENT QUESTIONS

Q1.

Statement 1: Meiosis I reduces chromosome number.
Statement 2: Homologous chromosomes separate in Meiosis I.

✔ Answer: Both are correct, and Statement 2 explains Statement 1.


Q2.

Statement 1: Crossing over increases genetic variation.
Statement 2: It occurs during leptotene.

✔ Answer: Statement 1 true, Statement 2 false


📖 8. CASE STUDY QUESTIONS

Case Study:

During meiosis in a cell, homologous chromosomes pair and exchange segments of DNA. Later, chromosomes separate into different cells, reducing chromosome number.

Q1. Identify the stage where pairing occurs.

Ans: Zygotene


Q2. Name the stage where crossing over happens.

Ans: Pachytene


Q3. What is the end result of Meiosis I?

Ans: Two haploid cells (dyads)


Q4. What type of division is Meiosis I?

Ans: Reduction division


⭐ 9. HIGH-YIELD ONE-LINER QUESTIONS

Q1. Why is Meiosis I called reduction division?

Ans: Because chromosome number is reduced to half.


Q2. What is the function of chiasmata?

Ans: Hold homologous chromosomes together after crossing over.


Q3. What is the main feature of metaphase I?

Ans: Alignment of bivalents at equator.



🔗 INTERNAL LINKS 

/biology/cell-division

/biology/meiosis-full-notes

/biology/mitosis-vs-meiosis

/biology/prophase-i-detailed

/neet/biology-important-diagrams

/neet/genetics-crossing-over


Meiosis I Mind Map

🌿 MEIOSIS I - Mind Map (NEET Level)

  • Meiosis I (Reduction Division)
    • Prophase I (Longest stage)
      • Leptotene
        • Chromosomes become visible
        • Start of condensation
      • Zygotene
        • Homologous chromosomes pair (synapsis)
        • Bivalents form
        • Synaptonemal complex formed
      • Pachytene
        • Tetrad formation (4 chromatids)
        • Crossing over occurs
        • Genetic recombination
      • Diplotene
        • Synaptonemal complex dissolves
        • Chiasmata visible
        • Partial separation of homologous chromosomes
      • Diakinesis
        • Chromosomes fully condensed
        • Terminalisation of chiasmata
        • Nuclear membrane breaks down
        • Spindle formation begins
    • Metaphase I
      • Bivalents align at equator
      • Spindle fibres attach to homologous chromosomes
    • Anaphase I
      • Homologous chromosomes separate
      • Sister chromatids remain together
    • Telophase I
      • Nuclear membrane reappears
      • Two haploid cells formed (dyads)
      • Cytokinesis occurs
    • Interkinesis
      • Short resting phase
      • No DNA replication
      • Preparation for Meiosis II

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kingdom Protista Notes for NEET | Easy Biology Revision Guide

Kingdom Protista Explained Simply | NEET Biology Study Notes  Diversity of Kingdom Protista showing diatoms, Euglena, protozoans, slime moulds, and dinoflagellates. - Dr.Sanjaykumar Pawar  Kingdom Protista –  Kingdom Protista is one of the most interesting groups in biological classification because it includes organisms that look simple but are actually eukaryotic (having a true nucleus). These organisms are mostly single-celled and live in water or moist environments. In this blog, we will understand Kingdom Protista in a very simple, line-by-line way so it becomes easy for NEET preparation. What is Kingdom Protista? • Kingdom Protista includes all single-celled eukaryotic organisms. • “Eukaryotic” means the cell has a well-defined nucleus and membrane-bound organelles. • Protists are mostly aquatic organisms (live in water). • They act as a link between plants, animals, and fungi. • The boundaries of this kingdom are not very strict. • Some organisms may be c...

M Phase (Mitosis) Mind Map for NEET | Prophase to Telophase Easy Notes

M PHASE (Mitosis) – Easy (NEET Level)   M Phase (Mitosis) mind map showing all stages and key NEET points in a simple visual tree format. - Dr.Sanjaykumar Pawar  M PHASE (Mitotic Phase) Text: This is the most dramatic period of the cell cycle, involving a major reorganisation of virtually all components of the cell. Easy Notes: M phase is the cell division phase . It is called the most dramatic phase because the whole cell changes. The nucleus, chromosomes, cytoplasm, and cell organelles are rearranged. The cell prepares to divide into two new daughter cells . 📝 NEET Point: Maximum visible changes occur in the M phase. Text: Since the number of chromosomes in the parent and progeny cells is the same, it is also called equational division. Easy Notes: Parent cell and daughter cells have the same number of chromosomes . No chromosome number is reduced. Therefore, mitosis is called Equational Division . 📝 NEET Point: Parent cell = 2n Daughter cel...

Cytoskeleton Notes for NEET | Microtubules, Microfilaments & Cell Structure Explained

  Cytoskeleton – Easy Notes for NEET  Cytoskeleton structure showing microtubules, microfilaments, and intermediate filaments inside a cell. - Dr.Sanjaykumar Pawar  Definition Cytoskeleton is a network of protein fibres present in the cytoplasm of a cell. It forms the internal framework or "skeleton" of the cell. It is made up of filamentous (thread-like) protein structures. Components of Cytoskeleton The cytoskeleton consists of three main types of fibres: Microtubules Long, hollow, tube-like structures. Made of the protein tubulin . Help in cell division and movement of cell organelles. Microfilaments Thin, solid fibres. Made of the protein actin . Help in cell movement and change in cell shape. Intermediate Filaments Fibres of intermediate thickness. Provide strength and stability to the cell. Help the cell resist mechanical stress. Location Present throughout the cytoplasm of eukaryotic cells. Forms a supporting network inside th...